Welcome to Ability Forums!

Become part of our inclusive community for people with disabilities, their parents, caregivers, advocates, and special education teachers.

SignUp Now!

Setting up classroom

DarrelPl08

Hi. First time poster and first year teacher. I am really nervous for the start of school and was wondering if you all could give me some advice for setting up my classroom. I learned about UDL and flexible seating in college but I can imagine that teaching is going to be a whole lot different than what I learned. Can anyone give me some ideas for how I should go about with my seating arrangements? The classroom that I was put in has standard desks with connected chairs to them. I have one large table in the back. What way do you arrange your classroom and why do you set it up the way that you do?

caitiie7

Hey Darrel, what age group do you teach? Honestly it is all going to depend on your grade level/s, subject, classroom management strategy, and personal preference. I know that some elementary teachers swear by their student yoga ball wheelie chairs, others hate them. Some teachers also really like group seating, others don't.
I guess my reply isn't that helpful. Can you please give us some more information?

DarrelPl08

Hey Darrel, what age group do you teach? Honestly it is all going to depend on your grade level/s, subject, classroom management strategy, and personal preference. I know that some elementary teachers swear by their student yoga ball wheelie chairs, others hate them. Some teachers also really like group seating, others don't.
I guess my reply isn't that helpful. Can you please give us some more information?
I teach 7-8th grade history. Tough crowd, I know. Diverse group of kids too. I know that in one of my classes I have 6 students with IEPs. I think that I will need to ask my supervisor about that.
Since I have only student taught, right now i do not have a preference as far as group seating vs. sitting students individually. During my student teaching it was a mix of both styles of seating. I was lucky to have worked in two different classrooms.

caitiie7

I teach 7-8th grade history. Tough crowd, I know. Diverse group of kids too. I know that in one of my classes I have 6 students with IEPs. I think that I will need to ask my supervisor about that.
Since I have only student taught, right now i do not have a preference as far as group seating vs. sitting students individually. During my student teaching it was a mix of both styles of seating. I was lucky to have worked in two different classrooms.
OK, lol wow. Tough crowd is right lol. God bless you.
For a middle group do not get flexible seating. Their immaturity to not be able to handle flexible seating will make it soooo not worth it lol. I would avoid all wheelie chairs and set seating expectations right away. Then reinforce those expectations over and over again throughout the school year. Doing group seating for group projects sometimes will be fine, but at a middle school level I would not trust them to remain in group seating. It wont benefit ALL of your students, especially those kids that get distracted easily.